The Clinical Trial That Almost Wasn’t

On Tuesday afternoon, exactly one week before my leukapheresis, I got a phone call from my regular APRN at Dana Farber, Tina Flaherty. She told me that my M-spike was 2.06 and to be accepted into the study it needed to be 2.1. (A higher M-spike = more cancer.)

She told me to get another protein electrophoresis done at Smilow. They were also going to try and talk the pharmaceutical company into accepting me since it was so close and all of my numbers qualified me.

As an interesting point about these numbers, Dana Farber gives the results to the 100th decimal place, so the same test at the same time would have had me at 2.1 since they only report to the tenth decimal place.

So I found myself hoping that my cancer had gotten worse in the last week. I also was much more anxious about not having the treatment than having it.

While I waited for the results from Smilow (Alfredo my APRN there was really great about keeping in touch with me and telling me what they knew, etc.), I got a pre-op call on Thursday for the placement of my temporary line (placed Monday morning, out on Tuesday morning). One of the last questions she asked was who was driving me home after the procedure on Monday? I said, “What? I need to be driven home???” Because it’s a short visit and I was assured I would feel good enough to drive home on Tuesday I am traveling up myself. So just another wrench in the works. My final decision is to still go by myself, if I have time I’ll walk the mile to Brigham and Women’s Hospital and then Uber back to the hotel. Tuesday I’ll drive and park at Dana Farber.

Friday late morning I got a call that they had a verbal on my M-spike and it was 2.4 – yay? 🙂

I will get treatment (“bridging therapy”) at Smilow December 9th and the 16th, the same regimen I was just on (Carfilzomib, Cytoxan, and Dexamethasone).

Hope to get some actual dates for the rest of the CAR-T cell therapy on Tuesday.